If you’re serving it the same day, you can place in a pitcher in an ice bucket to keep it chilled. When stored properly in an airtight container in the fridge, it can last up to 4 days in the fridge. I love a recipe that can be prepped ahead of the Christmas Day rush.
If you are following a strict vegan diet, you can make an equally wonderful version of this without the egg yolks, by blending the below recipe in your blender with a cup of cashew nut cream added and a little cardamom.
We are enjoying this family favourite this year with a little added protein, the story involves our daughters recent health scare and remarkable recovery, but it’s a tale for next year, as we are still navigating this new normal within our household.
My last eggnog thought before I leave you to enjoy the recipe is, it makes for a fabulous dessert with Kahlua instead of whiskey, served with dark truffles and light, crisp tuile biscuits.
- 2 cups of whole or nut milk,
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon, plus an extra sprinkle for garnish,
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg,
- 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract,
- 6 large free range egg yolks,
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar,
- 1 cup of heavy cream or coconut cream,
- 1 cup of whiskey or rum (optional)
- Whipped cream or thick coconut cream for serving
In a small saucepan over low heat, combine your milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla and slowly bring mixture to a gentle boil.